Friday, May 29, 2015

Cheerio to the U.S., Hello England!

Hey everyone! How is everything going for you? I am happy to report that I am safe and sound at the England MTC. Last night, the 7 other missionaries and I boarded the plane that went from the New Jersey airport to the London Heathrow airport. It was a 7 hour plane ride but I survived. I tried to sleep like mom had told me to do but there was a tiny problem. There was this little kid who kept crying and screaming for almost the entire plane ride and he was 4 rows in front of me and being a light sleeper, it was really hard for me to fall asleep. It's all good though. I did get about 2-3 hours of sleep in and feel actually pretty good. I don't feel jet-lagged all that much and I seem to be adjusting to the time change pretty well. After we landed in the London Heathrow airport (which is enormous), we went to find our next terminal. You definitely know you are in London when there are signs pointing to bathrooms saying toilets rather than restrooms, elevators being labeled as lifts, or flight attendants calling out for your rubbish to be thrown away. It's pretty fascinating the differences between England and America. I am starting a chart of the differences and each time I notice something different about England, I write it down in my journal. I'll write a few of the differences  I notice each time I email. :) Well after reaching the London Heathrow airport, we boarded the plane to Manchester. It was only about an hour flight and it was right on schedule for once and that was a blessing because at this point, my missionary friends and I really wanted to get to the MTC. Eventually we did get to the England MTC and I'm here writing my emails now.The MTC and England itself is absolutely gorgeous. It is very green and beautiful. The president and his wife welcomed us and we have had a lot of orientation. His name is President Preston which I find funny because we are at the England Preston MTC. The food here is really good. They have a lot of different European named foods but most of it tastes like America's foods. I think they just give them cool sounding names to make them sound like they taste ten times better. I think in some cases they do and in some cases, they taste the same. Lays chips in America are called walkers chips here (or what England people called crisps) and they are very similar.  Oh! We got our name badges. That was really fun! Anyways, everything has been wonderful! I hope everything has been good for you! I'll keep you all updated on my next few adventures. Love you!
With Love,
Sister Burtis

No comments:

Post a Comment